Meet My Muse

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Why Chronicles, Volume II

I made an observation last week that I can't stop thinking about. By now, you know I'm a big geek. So you're probably a little worried about what sort of observations I might be pondering. Before I go any further, let me assure you my observation had nothing to do with mathematics, the laws of physics, or Ellen's brain teasers. It had to do with doorways.

Have you ever noticed that people tend to gravitate towards doorways? There can be a totally empty room with tons of space for three people to gather and discuss politics, religion, or Lindsay Lohan's latest hair color choice, and inevitably those three people will choose instead to stand in the doorway thus blocking anyone else from moving smoothly through that doorway.

Why is that? Does it go back to an instinctual need to be able to make a quick exit when an less-than-fashionable colleague decides to join the conversation? Is it because wide open empty rooms cause claustrophobia? Or does everyone suffer from stick-out-like-a-sore-thumb-osis? Do these people get off on being asked, "Please excuse me," by other people looking to make use of the doorway's intended purpose? Do they just not notice that they're standing in the doorway? Or maybe there really is a law of physics that deals with the gravitational pull of the earth's doorways.

I'm kinda clueless here. Anybody else got a good idea why this might happen?

Posted by Honey :: 10:16 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------