Meet My Muse

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

When is 100,000 less than 500?

I'm a nerd. A proud, self-confessed, would-be-pocket-protector-wearing-if-I-were-male geek. I love numbers. I even get excited when I memorize a new phone number (yes, the day job has made seven- to ten-digit numbers fascinating to me). Along with numbers, I love puzzles, which brings me to the question of the day:
When is 100,000<500?

Any guesses?

Okay, then, here's the answer. 100,000 is less than 500 when you're writing query letters and synopses. Why? Because it seems so much easier to write the first 100,000 words in a manuscript than it does to actually write the documents that will put said manuscript in front of someone who could help me get it published.

It should be easy. I know the formula. Give me a math formula and I'll solve equations all day long. But this formula is different.

GMC? Check.
Major turning points? Check.
HEA? Check.

But it won't leave my head by way of my fingers on the keyboard. My fingers become paralyzed, as if saying, "No, Honey, we don't think this is a good idea tonight. It's not a strong enough sentence. It doesn't summarize the point correctly. There's a better word for what you're trying to say, but we're not going to tell you what it is."

I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe inspiration will strike in my dreams tonight. Stranger things have happened, you know. :)

Posted by Honey :: 7:19 PM :: 3 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------