Meet My Muse

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Must be a full moon

Everyone I talked to yesterday had a weird animal story. Is it something in the air? Or just the effects of last week's full moon?

For starters, my kittens scared the crap out of Mr. Honey Sunday night. I'd gone to bed since I had to work yesterday, but he was up playing Pirates. At 11, he came into the bedroom and woke me up.
"Something's wrong with the kittens," he said. "Can you come take a look at this?"
I mumbled something that Mr. Honey took to mean What makes you think I'll have any idea?
"You've taken them to the vet," he said. "What does the vet say about when they hoot like an owl?"
At this point, I was totally awake. Obviously it must be a life and death situation if my cats are making bird noises. They're species confused. Pretty soon they'll be hunting worms in the couches and making nests out of toilet paper. That's exactly what the vet said when I randomly asked what it meant if my kittens ever made owl sounds, because obviously, having never owned cats before, I knew instinctively that they would someday hoot like an owl.
"They're all arched up and fluffy, too," Mr. Honey said. "I think something spooked them."
Yeah, like themselves hooting like birds that are currently twice their size.
So I got out of bed and followed Mr. Honey into the living room where, sure enough, Saffron was hiding under the couch and hooting like an owl and Jinx was all fluffed up staring at her. We've since determined they were having a dominance dispute, but it was definitely creepy. They're fine now. I don't know if they worked out their issues or if we'll have further bird-fighting experiences before they decide who gets to be alpha female, but at least now I know their wrestling isn't a big deal.

But my kitties weren't the only ones with issues. A co-worker's cat had a hairball. A neighbor's cat threw up. And another neighbor found a possom in his garbage cane. And they all happened yesterday morning. Weird, or completely normal? I dunno. Have you had any strange animal occurrences lately?

Posted by Honey :: 8:11 AM :: 4 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------