Meet My Muse

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Crack McGraw

I listen to country music. Call it today's version of yesterday's pop. Call it the influence of the south. Call it going to college in backwoods Missouri where the top three things to do for fun were cow-tipping, 2 AM Walmart runs, and line dancing. Whatever the reason, I listen to country music. And most of the time, I like it.

Tim McGraw's newest song, Last Dollar, however, is country music's answer to the Disney tune, "It's a Small World," and I can honestly say my life would've been complete without ever having had it run through my head for ten days straight and counting. I fall asleep hearing, "One, two, three, like a bird I sing," and wake up to, "I'm so glad you're here today, cuz tomorrow I might have to go and fly away." And then the little kids chime in, and then the weird electronic verse happens, and then it repeats itself. All. Day. Long.

So I got into my car this morning to go to work, and I turned on the radio, and of course, it's playing. But then the song ended, and the DJ's, Big D and Bubba, made a big hullaballoo (this is country music, after all) about not knowing what in the world the song was about. So somebody called in and said, "Ask Big Kenny. He wrote it." Big Kenny, if you're not familiar with country music, is one half of the duo Big and Rich (Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy, anybody?). So the DJ's called Big Kenny, and I learned something today.

According to Big Kenny, he wrote the song in Vegas when he was down to his last dollar, facing eviction from his apartment and not being able to pay his electric bill. So, he wrote a song about how when you're down to nothing, you've got nothing left to lose. Pretty cool, huh?

But it didn't help get the song out of my mind. I wish I had some mental peanut butter to clear up that little subconscious hiccup.

Labels: , ,


Posted by Honey :: 8:22 AM :: 5 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------