Meet My Muse

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Well, if that don't beat all...

As you may or may not recall, I forecast the apocolypse a few months back when I got my own cell phone. My baby sister, Mini-Me, had her own cell phone at age 14 before I got my own cell phone at 27. And I liked it that way. But that's not the point.

Since getting my new cell phone, about every other week I get a call from an "Unknown" number. I let my voicemail take it nine times out of ten, as I'm not interested in speaking personally with anyone unwilling to identify themselves, especially when it's my minutes that I'm paying for on my cell phone. So, the call goes to voicemail, and I get this fun, fascinating message: "This is not a sales call. It's very important that we speak with you. Please call us at blah, blah, blah..."

Now, I was starting to get agitated. Every other week, I'm getting phone calls requesting that I call this number. Even if I picked up, it would be an operator asking that I stay on the line for an important message and/or a business opportunity. So I was thinking, you know, I oughta just call these people back, tell 'em nicely (or not so nicely, depending on my mood) to take my number off their list, maybe after listening to their sales pitch for half an hour or more, just tying up their phone lines. And then I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to invite all my friends to inundate this stinking number with phone calls and hope I'd have enough friends that thought it was fun, that we could physically cause a problem in tying up their phone system? I could've been the next internet virus, with everyone linking to my blog to get the number to have some fun at a devious (and illegally-practicing) telemarketer's expense.

So today I got another phone call. And I ignored it when it came in, fully intending to come home tonight, call the number in the message back, and start my little game. Except this time instead of an awkward, pre-recorded woman, I got a more forceful pre-recorded man. And the forceful male pre-recording identified the company. And gave me a good idea why I keep getting these messages.

So I called the number back, not completely sure that I was correct in my assumption, but when a live person answered after only 35 seconds, and I explained that I was tired of getting messages to call this number, and she asked if I was person X, and I told her I wasn't, the nice operator told me she'd remove the number, and I won't be getting any more calls. Even apologized for my inconvenience.

It would appear that the collections agency needs to get in touch with the person who had the number before me. Whoops.

Could've been worse. They really could've been looking for me.

Posted by Honey :: 4:58 PM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------