Meet My Muse

Friday, October 27, 2006

Wasting Time

Do you ever get to Friday and ask yourself, "Where did this past week go?"

That's what I'm doing today. I know I've been at work 8 hours a day this week, but I can't tell you what I've done after work. The week has just slipped by, and I don't have much to show for it.

Do you ever feel like you're wishing your life away? For instance, how many times on a Monday morning do you wake up and think, "Damn, I wish it was Friday."

I've been doing that a bit too much lately. It's time for one of those reminders that there's something I can do Today to make myself happy. Not tomorrow, not next weekend. Today. Whether it's snuggling with Mr. Honey early in the morning, taking an extra couple minutes to put on my favorite hand lotion, diving into my favorite book, or petting my kittens a little while longer when I should be getting ready for work, I can take some time to enjoy my life. When I get home, I can fix my favorite dinner, take a walk or bike ride with Mr. Honey, chat with my friends, visit with the neighbors. But what about that time between leaving for work and getting home? Why should I wish 8 hours of my day away?

I shouldn't. Nobody should. In a perfect world, we'd all do whatever it is that we were born to do, whether it be writing, cooking, teaching, engineering, doctoring, soldiering, decorating, sailing, woodworking, learning, growing, or raising kids. Sure, we'd have our bad days, and the pay might not be what we wish it was, but we wouldn't wish for Friday on Monday mornings, and we wouldn't mourn Sunday evenings because they signal the start of the work week.

In July, I made a deal with myself. It involved doing whatever it took to be happy with the position I'm in. This week has been a difficult week to follow through with that, so it's good to take time to remind myself that I'm the only one who can control me. Maybe that means I should take a day off here and there, to goof off and play Pirates! and go to the gym at 9:30 AM if that's what I want to do. To sit around in my pajamas and let my kittens sleep on my lap. Mr. Honey's been telling me that for years, but I'm not a very good listener.

We have some nice vacation time coming up. I'm hoping our trip to see friends in the lovely city of Savannah will be a good re-boot of my motivation and enthusiasm. Soon after, we have a trip to see family for Thanksgiving, and then a vacation to the eastern Caribbean for Christmas. :) So for now, I'll wish that I spend my time wisely between now and our upcoming trips. And that's about all I can do.

Posted by Honey :: 8:50 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------