Meet My Muse

Friday, June 23, 2006

Just Peachy

It's peach season here in the deep south, and I'm LOVING it. The grocery store is stocked with fresh, ripe, ready-to-eat peaches, and I've got that Dead Presidents song running through my head.

Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Me
Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Free.

I've decided the only time it rains here is when I go out with friends. Three weeks ago my neighbor and I went out to Moe's for dinner, followed by Cold Stone Creamery for dessert, and it just poured. First time in weeks we'd had rain. It's been dry as a raindrop's idea of hell since then. Until last night, when I picked up a friend to run out to the peach packing plant, that is. Talk about a show - Mother Nature provided a constant drum beat with the thunder while she used her lightning pointer to demonstrate areas in danger.

Peaches come In a Can
They were put There By a Man
In a factory Downtown

The peach packing plant is cool. My geek personality, Maud, salivates at the thought of being around all the peach sorting machinery. She's a lean, mean, machinery-programming machine, and she's been deprived for nearly four years. But she gets to consult with me on my geek characters, and she seems to be satisfied with that for now.

Movin' to the Country
Gonna eat a lot of Peaches

Every summer, I make peach jam, peach butter, and peaches in syrup, and then give them to family and friends for Christmas. It's that time of the year again, and this weekend is all about the peaches. So I picked up my 25-lb box of peaches last night, along with a bag of white flesh peaches and a bag of cinnamon-toasted pecans for Mr. Honey. I'd never heard of white peaches before moving down south, and I've never had one that was perfectly ripe. But that's about to change. Despite the dry conditions in the area, the peaches this summer seem sweeter than I remember last year. And I have a bag full of white peaches that will all be ripe in about 2 days. I can't wait.

Happy Friday, and have a great weekend!

Posted by Honey :: 7:38 AM :: 2 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------