Meet My Muse

Monday, July 24, 2006

Bathrooms and Lesbians

This past weekend, I went over to Savannah and met my friend Ellen. We've been online writing buddies for almost a year, so it was cool to meet face to face. I'm excited about going to the RWA National Conference later this week to meet other online writing buddies, too. Yippee!

But I wouldn't feel right leaving off details of my visit with Ellen. :) She's a wonderful person, and we had the best time. Talking and laughing and giggling and gossipping was great! She'd selected a bed & breakfast between River Street and Bay Street, which is an area of Savannah with a bit of a feel like the French Quarter in New Orleans. Lots of bars and restaurants and quaint shops. Anyway, she got us a suite adn picked the "Girlfriends Package". We realized the first night that the B&B people thought we were lesbian lovers when they turned down just her bed and laid out robes for our use across the bed. But seriously, the South I know considers "girlfriends" to be your good girl friends, not your lesbian lovers, but it's nice to know they're open to catering to a variety of clientele. I think Mr. Honey (who's currently visiting my old college town (see Honey try not to be jealous because she also has cool plans this week, and really all she's missing is the pie shop)) wished he could've been there for Girlfriend night, but it just doesn't always work out that way.

Ellen and I hung out at Savannah Smiles, the dueling pianos bar, and at Kevin Barry's Irish Pub. We took a trolley tour of the historic district, which Ellen fellin love with right away. We sat up talking until midnight or later both nights, we ate good food, and we walked a lot. It was a blast. But Ellen kept accusing me of hiring people to speak in southern accents. She doesn't hear it all that much where she's from, so it was a bit surreal for her to hear people talking like Scarlett O'Hara.

After dinner on Saturday night, we slipped into the little girls' room, as women are known to do. I have a picture that I'll post later if I have time between packing for Nationals and running around like a chicken with my head cut off (manicure? pedicure? crap!). Anyway, in this bathroom, there were two stalls, one sink, and five soap dispensers. Five. Why in the world does one bathroom with one sink need five soap dispensers? Okay, two I can understand, because it is reasonable that two people who know each other well (and are probably related) would be willing to share a sink, but demand their own soap dispenser. But 5 pump bottles, all half-full? It was the funniest thing I've seen in a bathroom in a long time. And I told Ellen I was going to blog about it, and now I have. :) Here's hoping you had just as fun of a weekend, regardless of where you got your chuckles.

Posted by Honey :: 11:30 AM :: 0 Comments:

Post a Comment

---------------------------------------